I have tried several types of hummingbird feeders. The key issues are ease of cleaning and preventing other critters from interfering. Avoid feeders that have to be cleaned with special bottle-brushes.
- Important: use plain sugar. No colorings or additives
- The ratio of sugar to water is important. Too little sugar fails to provide adequate nutrition.
- Use filtered water. Tap water is chlorinated. A simple Britta filter will improve the quality.
The disadvantages of the feeder below are:
- The small opening to the bottle requires bottle-brushes
- Larger birds like orioles pry off the yellow screens or just knock the whole red bottom off
This glass feeder has the disadvantage of getting hot in the sun.