Easy, Delicious and Heart Healthy Mediterranean Pasta dish with sardines, capers, and a light lemon olive sauce.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time for sauce: 10 minutes
- 8 oz angel hair (capellini) or spaghetti pasta
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots minced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes spicy – use more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1 package Sardines drained 4.375 oz
- 3 tbsp capers rinsed
- 5 tbsp lemon juice or more to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley or basil chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water. Rinse pasta under cool water for a moment or two to keep the noodles loose. Reserve. In a large sauteuse, saute or sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once the olive oil is hot, add the shallots, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and salt. Cook until the shallots are soft and translucent (careful, don’t let them burn!).
- Add the sardines and capers to the pan. Saute for about 2 minutes until warmed through, breaking up the sardines into smaller pieces as you saute.
- When the sardines begin to turn golden, slowly stir in the fresh lemon juice. Add the cooked pasta and fresh chopped parsley or basil to the pan. Toss pasta to evenly coat with sauce, mixing well with the other ingredients. If the pasta seems too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta cooking water, 1 tbsp at a time, to loosen it a bit. It should not be thick or heavy, the noodles should be lightly coated with oil.