This recipe is a good use for radishes: either home-grown or store-bought. See Radish – Early Scarlet Globe for growing radishes at home.
The pickling liquid has infinite variety.
- 1 bunch of radishes (18-20 average size radishes)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Spices (whatever you want and in any quantity)
- chopped ginger
- chopped garlic
- mustard seeds
- fennel seeds
- red chile pepper flakes
- Slice radishes as thin as you can.
- Stuff all the radishes in the jar of your choice. A bowl will work too if that’s all you have.
- In a small sauce-pan, combine apple cider vinegar, warm water, salt, sugar, and spices. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour this pickling mixture over your sliced radishes and let them set for an hour. After an hour, cover and store in the fridge for up to three weeks.